Sunday, September 1, 2013

Story of the creative process behind "(Untitled)"; that last post

(I suggest you read the last poem, i.e. the poem below this post before you read this post)

Poems are born of emotions. An emotion comes to you. It promises to give birth. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Emotions need to be true to a certain extent, at least for me, to write based on that emotion. Although the emotion may translate into the poem; the poem may not be just a statement of the emotion. As Emily Dickinson says: "Tell all of the truth. But tell it with a slant"; poems come out for me in a slanted, contorted angle (with respect to the emotion) that leaves a mystery about the emotion. Think of a good portrait photo. Think of a beautiful face: straight, deadpan and looking at the camera. That results in a passport photo. For a good portrait, you need some angle, some light and shade that tell a story. Similarly, for an emotion to be a poem, there's that need for a slant, an angle. To illustrate, I felt the following emotion for the previous post:

"Aura Morris,
You cut me up
in pieces:
bones in one pile,
flesh in another.
Blood drips.
Marrow oozes on
the thirsty butcher's block.
A sun fleck
shines through the dank cottage,
reflects onto your shiny cleaver
to illuminate your face,
your euphoric eyes
glistening in the grizzly lust of butchering."

Now, as you see, this emotion is strong; but I may not want to call it a poem. It is quite dependent on one real person and something that I would actually say to her, if I see her. It's just a statement. On the other hand, the poemized version, that is, the poem posted yesterday is what I wrote down. It's told with a slant and I feel, for a reader, conveys the emotion much better/more intriguingly/mysteriously than an actual statement of the emotion itself.

No comments: