Friday, July 5, 2013

Hanna's poem


This city of love,
friendship, seasons,
hopes and heartbreaks,
without you, it's nothing.

This city is just hollow bricks.
These streets are just cobbled stones.
These windows are just glass panes.
Without you, my friend,
they don't have a story to tell.

With you,
              I have seen this city
              and filled the empty streets
              with our laughter in the fall
                     and hope for spring in the winter.

With you,
              these windows, streetside,
              have borne witness to our life force
              shaking these streets,
              bringing the cobbled stones alive.

One day,
             when I return to this city,
             after many a mile,
                     many a path,
             and many a night,
you may not be here.

Though memories of our time together
will remain vivid, with me;
without you,
                  this city will just be hollow bricks,
                  these windows just glass panes,
                  and these streets just cobbled stones.

--------

This I just wrote for Hanna. She was feeling sad as we, the friends at Las Cruces that she's made, will disperse after this summer and she may not feel the same here at this place. So, I wrote this for her. Thank you for listening when I recited these words, Hanna.


No comments: